Naming, Vista vs. Aero

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum
Developer
Apr 10, 2008 at 2:57 PM
One more thing on the naming. I'd like to explain why I think using Aero trademark is better than Vista .
Vista is just one version of Windows. There is already Windows7 coming, which will be known under who-knows-what catchy name MS marketing folks come up with. At that point, VistaControls will seem obsolete and outdated.
On the other hand. Aero is a set of UI design guidelines, which can be expected to last more than a single Windows product cycle. If you look at the Win7 screenshots, you can clearly see they're adding more of the Aero-style control panels, etc.
So I think it would be better, in the long run, to use Aero instead of Vista. What do you think, Lck, Marco?
Coordinator
Apr 11, 2008 at 9:54 AM
I too have suggested to use "Vista" instead of "Areo"... Also because this project is named "Vista Controls", so it is bound to this version of Windows.
Developer
Apr 11, 2008 at 10:15 AM
I'm confused -- did you suggest Aero or Vista? Project can be easily renamed, just click Edit Project Details and you can change both the title and the URL. It will even create a redirection from the old url to the new one, so there won't be any broken links.

So what do you say? I vote for "Windows Forms Aero" :-)
Coordinator
Apr 11, 2008 at 10:52 AM
OK... Last time I checked, there wasn't the possibility to change the project URL, but if it is now possible I agree to change the name of the project to "Aero Controls for .NET" and the project URL to "http://www.codeplex.com/aerocontrols".
Developer
Apr 11, 2008 at 11:29 AM
I am totally nitpicking now, but I've got some things ready that are not a control (MenuStrip renderer, explorer-style hiding menu, a fix for a nasty MenuStrip Tablet PC bug) and things which are now code-only, but should be turned into extender components or (DWM stuff).
I have also a a base form class in mind (AeroForm, AeroGlassForm), which would contain these components, set Segoe UI font, etc, thus allowing users to choose between using the components on plain vanilla Forms or deriving from our base class.
Also the name should somehow mention Windows Forms, to be clear that we don't do WPF or anything else...
Developer
Apr 11, 2008 at 7:24 PM
Right, "controls" should probably be removed from the title as the project is no longer a controls-only library.
And of course, choosing "Aero" instead of "Vista" will most likely prevent us from having to change the library's name again in the future...
What about "NAero", "AeroForms", "WinForms for Aero", "WinForm extensions for Aero", ... ?
Developer
Apr 11, 2008 at 10:05 PM
NAero sounds a bit negative ("not-quite-aero" :). And every N*(Unit, Doc, Ant) project doesn't seem to be evolving anymore. Probably a cursed prefix :))
AeroForms has the same problem as Aero Controls. It's not just only controls or forms. Maybe components, but that sounds stupid.
WinForms/WinForm is not the name of the framework. It reminds me of the .NET 1.0 pre-Beta2 (?) days, when winforms lived in the System.WinForms namespace.
I still like "Windows Forms Aero" (as in Aero for Windows Forms) the most. It also turns out the assembly name of WindowsFormsAero aligns nicely with WPF's WindowsFormsIntegration.
Developer
Apr 18, 2008 at 8:53 AM
Ok. "Windows Forms Aero" sounds fine to me.
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2008 at 10:34 AM
I agree with "Windows Forms Aero" too. Or, what about "Aero Windows Forms"?
Developer
Apr 21, 2008 at 12:40 PM
OK, "Windows Forms Aero" then :) Do you change the CodePlex project? We need to port rest of the controls to the new project and we can make a 2.0 release :) Who wants to do the ButtonBase stuff? :)
Coordinator
Apr 21, 2008 at 2:53 PM
Hi!

I have just changed to project URL, title and description :-)
Developer
Apr 21, 2008 at 3:04 PM
Cool! The redirection really works, the guys at CodePlex did a great job :)