Windows Explorer Header

Aug 14, 2008 at 11:45 PM
Would it be possible to add controls / edit the design of the aero header just like how the windows vista explorer has it with back / forward / search etc. in the header. Maybe also the side pannel, can be done normally using standard .NET controls, but just wondered if they all came together...?

Anyway, i think what you've done here is fantastic! Only done on vista, but still, very useful, thanks a lot!
Developer
Jul 26, 2009 at 7:49 PM

I've been trying to accomplish this and it's much more difficult than it is with WPF.  I know how to get the TextBox onto the glass and render correctly (you have to redraw it as an image when the paint message comes through) and I'm going to make that update soon.. however some of the fade animations are a little more cumbersome with WinForms.  I've got this on my mind though.. dunno if I'll be able to recreate it well enough to publish but I'll give it a shot.

Developer
Jul 26, 2009 at 11:44 PM
Edited Jul 27, 2009 at 3:28 AM

One option that you have available that maybe out of the realm of this project (since this project is Winforms) is to upgrade this project to the .Net Framework 3.5 and then create the bread crumb/forward back buttons and search box in WPF and then host them via an ElementHost in the WinForm (and/or, write a wrapper control to make it easier to use).  I don't think that fits into this project IMO, but I personally am going that route myself because I want to closely mimic the animation type feel, but I also want to use WinForms (for multiple reasons including, I've been using them since their inception, I have a ton of code already revolving around them, the designer in VS 2008 is far less frustrating, controls are easily bindable to data without jumping through hoops and I just enjoy them in general).  That being said though, I have no problem leverging WPF where it makes sense.  :) 

I found a great WPF search control at http://davidowens.wordpress.com/2009/02/18/wpf-search-text-box/ .  Just for a personal project of mine, I compiled this and placed it on a WinForm with the .Net Framework 3.5's ElementHost control.  Works perfect for my use.. I have examples on how you can do this yourself if anyone reading this would want to take that route.